By: Peter Haigney
RWJUH Public Relations
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH) in partnership with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School has established The PROUD Gender Center of New Jersey, a comprehensive, full suite of services specifically designed to address the transgender community’s healthcare needs.
The PROUD Gender Center of New Jersey is the first of its kind in the state to offer a broad and comprehensive range of services and experts specializing in LGBTQ care in one central location.
RWJUH and Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School will host a dedication and grand opening of the Center on Thursday, August 13 at 11:30 a.m. in the RWJUH Auditorium. Members of the media are invited to attend. Those interested, should contact Peter Haigney in the Department of Communications and Marketing at 732-937-8568 (o) or 908-227-9317 (c).
“This Center represents what makes our academic medical center unique,” explains John J. Gantner, President and Chief Executive Officer of Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH). “Through our partnership with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School we brought together a wide range of disciplines and subject experts into a comprehensive clinical program. This type of program is only available at a small number of elite institutions nationally.”
“This is an historic time for the advancement LGBTQ and transgender rights in our state and nation,” notes Jackie Baras, MSN, MBA, RN, LGBT Program Director and LGBT Health Navigator for RWJUH. “In many ways this Center is a reflection of these historic times and a culmination of a vision of all partners on our academic medical campus to address the unique health care needs of this community with a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach in one central location.”
Gloria Bachmann, MD, MMS, Professor of OB-GYN, Medical Director of the PROUD Gender Center of New Jersey at RWJUH and Director of the Women’s Health Institute at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School adds, “We are excited to partner with Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital on this groundbreaking effort,” “Working together, we are committed to offering inclusive and innovative programs that address our diverse community’s health care needs.”
The Center features a highly experienced, multidisciplinary team specializing in transgender health that offers a broad range of hormonal therapy and surgical procedures to support the transition of transgender patients. Services include:
- Comprehensive Primary Care
- Gender-Affirming Surgery (Trans-feminine Top Surgery and Trans-masculine Top Surgery)
- Facial Feminization and Masculinization Surgery
- Hormone Therapy/Endocrinology
- Otolaryngology/Vocal Training
- LGBTQ Health Navigator
- Community Outreach, Education and Training
- Support Group and Advocacy Resources
- Information and Referral to Behavioral and Mental Health Support Services
In addition to comprehensive medical services, The Center offers robust support services and community resources that include:
- The PROUDLY ME! Transgender Eduport Program: A free education and support program designed to help transgender and non-binary community members by creating a safe space of learning through peer support and resources. The sessions are held the second Thursday of the month from 6-8 p.m. in the RWJUH Auditorium. For information, e-mail Jackie.firstname.lastname@example.org or Leigh.email@example.com.
- The PROUD Community Advisory Panel: Through scheduled meetings, ongoing committee assignments and ad hoc working groups, PROUD Community Advisory Panel members are routinely asked to share their views and opinions to provide guidance on decisions impacting the broader LGBTQIA Community. For information, contact Jackie.firstname.lastname@example.org or Vanessa.email@example.com.
- PROUD Business Resource Group: Promoting Respect, Outreach, Understanding and Dignity (PROUD) Business Resource Group is an employee-based group focused on fostering a safe, accepting, respectful, supportive and inclusive gender-loving workplace among the LGBTA community. For information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information or to access PROUD Gender Center of New Jersey services, please call 1-833-PROUD-NJ (77683-65) or visit www.rwjbh.org/rwjuhlgbtqia.
About Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH) New Brunswick, an RWJBarnabas Health Facility, is a 600-bed academic medical center that serves as the principal teaching hospital of Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and the flagship Cancer Hospital of Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey. Its Centers of Excellence include cardiovascular care from minimally invasive heart surgery to transplantation, cancer care, stroke care, neuroscience, orthopedics, bariatric surgery and women’s and children’s care including The Bristol-Myers Squibb Children’s Hospital at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (www.bmsch.org). A Level 1 Trauma Center and the first designated Pediatric Trauma Center in the state, RWJUH’s New Brunswick campus serves as a national resource in its ground-breaking approaches to emergency preparedness.
RWJUH has been ranked among the best hospitals in America by U.S. News & World Report seven times and has been selected by the publication as a high performing hospital in numerous specialties. The Bristol-Myers Squibb Children’s Hospital has been ranked among the best hospitals in America by U.S. News & World Report six times. In addition, RWJUH was named among the best places to work in health care by Modern Healthcare magazine and received the Equity Care of Award as Top Hospital for Healthcare Diversity and Inclusion from the American Hospital Association. RWJUH Brunswick has earned significant national recognition for clinical quality and patient safety, including the prestigious Magnet® Award for Nursing Excellence and “Most Wired” designation by Hospitals and Health Networks Magazine. The American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer has rated RWJUH New Brunswick among the nation’s best comprehensive cancer centers. For more Information visit us online at www.rwjbh.org/newbrunswick.