My Ayurveda Experience – Days 5 and 6

Posted by Steven Russell on Saturday, August 2, 2014

Friday I went at my normal time, did all the same therapies, and got home in 15 minutes, as usual. I was a bit worried when, on the way to the center, I passed the Parkway Southbound which was crowded and creeping along. Fridays in the summer are not a pleasant driving experience when headed toward the Shore. I got home and I lasted only 30 minutes. This was good, in a way, because I had an event to go to that started with dinner at a Mexican restaurant a half hour away. Since the recommendation in my treatment was to avoid alcohol, all milk products, and white flour, and since I’m vegetarian, a Mexican restaurant would present a bit of a dining challenge. I ordered a guacamole appetizer all to myself, with a few chips, but mostly eaten with a fork, and a bowl of vegetarian black bean soup. The waitress said, “That’s it?” I said, “Yup, that’s it. Oh, and a glass of water with no ice.” I’m not supposed to drink anything cold. I had to ask her three times before she brought me the water. But it was a nice big glass. I ate about 2/3 of the guacamole and most of the soup. It wasn’t a big bowl. I started feeling very full. Then too full. I stopped eating. Usually I could put away much more than that. We got to the event and it was over an hour before I started feeling more normal. They said that this therapy would regulate my appetite. So now I know.

Today (Saturday) I went in at 12:30 because I have to play at the 5:00 mass tonight. I wear gym shorts and a tee shirt to the therapy because I’m covered head to toe in a lot of smelly oil that I’m supposed to leave on for at least an hour. I can’t imagine getting dressed for mass without showering. More good news today! No enema. And hopefully none of the residuals for the rest of the evening. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. Afterward you really do feel detoxed. Even a bit rung out. That’s what it’s all about, right?

 I intentionally engaged the therapist in conversation almost the entire time. We talked about language, learning English, moving to the US, living in an area with a lot of Indians, food, pronunciation, vowels, regional dialects, and what I could expect with treatment recommendations after I finish this therapy, among other things. After we finished, he took my iPhone and played several Hindi and Tamil Bollywood songs on my YouTube app so that I would have lots to pick from for when I make my video of me singing them. We shall see. We shall see.



Leave a Comment