Why Do Yoga? Focus
Why do yoga? Most people think you have to be a limber gymnast to even attempt it. Nothing could be further from the truth. Aside from any physical benefits from doing yoga, such as a more limber, healthy body and lower blood pressure, we do yoga to bring focus to the mind. Try this once today, and perhaps once a day this week, at any time, at any place:
- Pause what you are doing.
- Sit with feet flat on the floor and hands resting on your knees, or even stand where you are, both feet flat on the ground, arms resting at your sides.
- Close your eyes if you can.
- Focus your attention on your breathing. Notice how long you inhale. What the air feels like as it enters the body. Where it seems that the air goes. How long you exhale. What makes an inhale turn around and become an exhale.
- Allow your body to relax, and the breath to deepen and slow.
This simple one to two minute break in your day brings focus to the mind. It slows your heartbeat and lowers your blood pressure. Try it once a day, when you think of it, or when it seems you need a break from what you are doing. Enjoy the feeling of calm and the sense of being really present to yourself. Who knows. It might become a habit.
Check out my YouTube Channel for short videos about yoga: